Monday, March 15, 2010

Sourdough Know-How

Do you like sourdough bread? Have you ever made it? If you did, you would have to have a sourdough starter, which I was pretty clueless about until about a year ago when I sent for my first starter from Carl. Who's Carl, you are probably wondering, right? Well, go over there and find out. I'll wait. Pretty interesting, right? The first time I sent for my free starter, I fed it until, well, I just stopped feeding it, and it died a horrible death. I finally got up my nerve to send for another one about 6 weeks ago and it is doing very well. I haven't made any bread with it yet, but I have made pancakes, which were absolutely delicious.


The internet seems to be overrun with sourdough articles from blogs these days. Katie from Kitchen Stewardship has a very good in-depth series of articles on how to make your own sourdough starter as well as lots of recipes to use it in. If you are familiar with Katie's site, you know she doesn't leave any stone unturned, and that's a good thing!


Passionate Homemaker also has an article on her blog called An Introduction to Sourdough that will give you an overall picture of sourdough starters and recipes if you don't have time to read all of Kitchen Stewardship's articles.


If you need some visual help on sourdough-like I do-go to Breatopia.com and you can learn everything you ever wanted to know about sourdough or breadmaking in general. I'm especially interested in learning how to make the No Knead Sourdough Bread recipe.


I will share with you my bread from my sourdough starter as I make them and I am really hoping that I can get others excited about this new skill.

No comments: