Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Tutorial: Poached Eggs

We love eggs of all kinds at my house but one of my recent favorites is poached eggs. The texture of the yolk is much more different and better in a poached egg than in a fried egg to me. If you aren't familiar with poached eggs, hopefully seeing how I make them will give you the desire to try them yourself. All you will need is a saucepan or skillet, a slotted spoon, and a small cup or bowl. Butter the bottom of your skillet or pan and fill with water to about 3 inches and bring to a rolling boil. Add a splash of vinegar to keep the whites tight against the yolk as they cook. (You won't taste any vinegar in your eggs.) Lower the heat until the water is barely simmering. Crack your eggs, one at a time into a small cup or bowl. Bring the edge of the bowl level with the surface of the water and slide each egg in gently so the yolk doesn't break.


Simmer until the whites are set, about 4 minutes. With practice, you will be able to judge just the right amount of doneness that you like. My husband likes them at 3 minutes, but the whites are a little too runny for me, so I cook mine for 4 minutes.

Remove the eggs with a large slotted spoon, and drain well before serving.

My husband likes his eggs on buttered toast like in the picture above but you don't have to do it that way. I like it with my toast on the side. The larger your pan, the more eggs you can make at one time but you don't want to overcrowd them.

I'm posting this as a part of Life As Mom's Ultimate Recipe Swap this week. The theme is Eggs.

1 comment:

NeedANap2 said...

Thank you, I've never made poached eggs before and it seems a little easier looking at your directions! :)