Monday, January 24, 2011

Salmon Burgers with Caesar Slaw

Canned salmon is one of my pantry staples and I usually stock up on it when it is on sale. It is wild salmon, which is full of the Omega-3 that we need and this is one way I can get nutrition into my family's meals without breaking the bank. I found this recipe for Salmon Burgers with Caesar Slaw from Rachael Ray and we love all the bold flavors in this dish. You can go here for the original recipe from Food Network.
I also have it written out with some variations of my own below. My added notes are in italics.

Salmon Burgers with Caesar Slaw

1 (14-0z) can Alaskan salmon, drained and flaked
2 egg whites, lightly beaten (I've also used 1 whole egg)
Handful parsley leaves, finely chopped (I've used dried parsley)
2 lemons, zested and juiced, divided (The lemon juice and zest adds a wonderful flavor to the patties)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs, 3 generous handfuls
Salt and pepper (Easy on the salt! Anchovies have alot of salt in them)
4 anchovies, finely chopped, optional (If you like Caesar dressing, use at least 2)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Couple handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano
2 hearts romaine lettuce shredded
1 head radicchio, shredded (my family doesn't care for this, so I just use romaine or other some lettuce)

To flaked salmon, add egg whites, parsley, the zest and juice of 1 lemon, 2/3 of the total amount of chopped garlic (about 2 teaspoons), the bread crumbs and lots of black pepper and a little salt. Mix together and form 4 large patties or 8 mini patties.

To a salad bowl add the remaining zest and lemon juice, remaining garlic, chopped anchovies, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire. Whisk in about 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil and cheese. Add lots of black pepper and no salt. Add shredded lettuces to the bowl and toss to coat evenly. Now, season the slaw with salt to taste, if necessary.

Preheat 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, in a nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook salmon patties 2 to 3 minutes on each side for mini patties, 4 minutes on each side for large patties.

Serve salmon patties atop Caesar Slaw.

No comments: