Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sourdough Wheat Bread from the Bread Machine


Since starting my own sourdough starter, I have making some type of sourdough recipe every week. I've made pancakes, biscuits, and bread because I just love the sourness of it. The last loaf of bread I made was particularly sour, probably because it was so hot in my kitchen the other day (it got into the 80's, where it will stay for the next week at least) and before using a sourdough starter, it has to come to room temperature before using it. I usually make my breads in the bread machine to mix the dough and then finish it off in the oven to bake. And, although every recipe I've found for making sourdough bread in the bread machine tells you to use active dry yeast, too, I'm going to start experimenting a little and maybe use less of the yeast. We'll see what happens, but this recipe is the one I use most often.



Sourdough Wheat Bread



6 ounces (3/4 cup) warm water (90-100 degrees)

1 cup sourdough starter (room temperature)

1 tablespoon molasses

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoon active dry yeast



Put the ingredients in the order given or according to your bread machine instructions. Put machine at dough setting and start. When the machine is finished (about 1 hour 20 minutes), put the dough onto a floured surface and shape into the desired form. Place in a greased pan, cover with a towel, and let rise until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until done (bread sounds hollow when tapped when it is done). Cool, (if you can wait that long!) and slice.

No comments: