Monday, February 8, 2010

White Chili




This is comfort food at it's finest! I just love soups and stews and White Chili is one that I discovered only a couple of years ago and I just fell in love with it. I've seen lots of recipes for White Chili but I like this one because I usually have everything in my pantry for it. I had my beans, cooked and shredded chicken, and homemade chicken broth waiting for me in the freezer, so this was a breeze to throw together.

White Chili

4 cups navy or Great Northern beans (soaked and cooked), or 2 cans
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 or 2 tablespoons oil, butter, or other fat
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese for sprinkling on top of chili

In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until almost translucent. Add garlic and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients except cheese and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes or until flavors have melded together. Spoon into serving bowls; top with cheese. Makes 6 servings
We like to serve this with our healthier version of tortilla chips.
I'm participating this week in Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and $5 Dinners




3 comments:

Debbie J said...

I'd like to try this. I don't have the chiles or monteray jack cheese on hand, but could get them.

Erin said...

Oh, they looks so good! I'll definitely be trying this recipe.

carol at A Secnd Cup said...

I am in the mood for a different type of chili. This looks perfect.