Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sweet Potato Muffins with Cinnamon-Walnut Streusal



I recently found a recipe for Pumpkin Muffins with Cinnamon-Pecan Streusal and as I didn't have all the ingredients called for in the recipe, I used what I did have and still made a really good muffin. Please, don't skip the streusal topping-even if you have to eat this muffin as a dessert to make yourself feel less guilty about the butter and sugar :) This topping just makes the muffin! This recipe does make 18 muffins so I make the whole batch and put some in the freezer for later. I am building up a nice stockpile of baked goods in my freezer since I don't always have the time these days to bake when I want something good to eat-and homemade goodies are always better than store-bought to me.

Sweet Potato Muffins with Cinnamon-Walnut Streusal

Makes 18 muffins

1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sweet potato puree

Streusal

1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins or use cup liners.
In a large bowl, combine the muffin ingredients, wet ingredients first. Add the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill the muffin tins with the batter.

For the streusal, in a small bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut into the mixture the butter until crumbly. Add the walnuts. Generously sprinkle streusal over each muffin. Bake for 21 to 23 minutes.

I'm linking up with Ekat's Friday Potluck

3 comments:

Cheerful said...

looks yummy and thanks for sharing your recipe! happy weekend! :)

Unknown said...

These look great! Thanks for the post. Cheers!

Unknown said...

Darcy, as always your recipes look fantastic! I love the addition of sweet potatoes and the streusel topping! Thanks so much for linking this up Friday Potluck this week!