Monday, July 26, 2010

Cherry Tomato Sauce with Pasta

Last night my husband went fishing with his best friend and our daughter was working, so I had the house to myself. I decided to make myself some dinner and this is what I came up with, a dish that is inspired by one of Jamie Oliver's recipes from his new book Jamie's Food Revolution.

I have lots of grape tomatoes coming in almost everyday, so I've been looking for ways to use them up. I've never used balsamic vinegar in a pasta sauce before but I will be doing it again! I love how quickly this meal came together and how packed with flavor it was. The tomatoes were so sweet and delicious.



Cherry Tomato Sauce with Pasta


1/2 onion, chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 small bunch of fresh basil, torn into small-ish pieces.
1 pound pasta
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese


Bring a large pan of water to a boil for the pasta. When the water comes to a boil, cook pasta according to directions on box, saving a little of the pasta water for the sauce.


Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and onions til almost softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the grape tomatoes and garlic. Cook for a couple minutes. Add half the basil, balsamic vinegar, butter, half the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper (to taste). Add the drained pasta to the skillet, along with a couple of splashes of the cooking water, mixing well, until the pasta is coated with the sauce.


Serve with a little Parmesan cheese and the rest of the basil on top.



I'm participating in Jessica's What's On Your Plate?

No comments: