Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Parmesan Chicken



There's nothing like the crunch of breaded chicken and we really love it at our house, but I don't like the saturated fat and mess of frying chicken. So, when I found this recipe in the cookbook, The Amish Cook At Home by Kevin Williams and Lovina Eicher. I was hoping it was as good as it sounded, and it was! I buy whole chickens most of the time and cut them up which I can get for 79 cents per pound. I also try to make my own bread crumbs from leftover bread which can be kept int he refrigerator or the freezer.


Parmesan Chicken


1 cup flour

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons paprika

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons garlic powder

2 large eggs

3 tablespoons milk

2/3 cup Parmesan cheese

1/3 cup bread crumbs

1 (3- to 4- pound) chicken, cut into serving pieces


Preheat oven to 400. Butter a 10 by 15-inch baking pan or cookie sheet.

Combine the flour, salt, paprika, pepper and garlic powder in a shallow bowl. Stir with a whisk to blend. Beat the eggs and milk in another shallow bowl. Combine the cheese and bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, then dip them into the egg mixture, then dredge them in the crumb mixture. Place in the prepared pan.

Bake until the juices run clear when a piece of chicken is pierced with a knife, or registers 155 degrees with a meat thermometer, about 50 to 55 minutes. The crust will be a beautiful golden brown.
I'm participating in Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe Swap and Foodie Fridays at Designs by Gollum.

4 comments:

Candi said...

That's a great idea to cut up your own chicken! Great way to save money :)

Unknown said...

Darcy...this looks wonderful!! Cutting your own chicken up is a great budget tip. We raise a lot of meat chickens and I am thankful my dear Momma taught me how to cut up a whole chicken :)

Blessings!
Gail

Melinda said...

Making your own breadcrumbs is a great way to save some money! I agree with the mess and fat of frying chicken - this is a great alternative!

Mary Ann said...

This looks yummy! I love to buy whole chickens but usually roast them whole because I haven't been able to successfully cut one up yet. Maybe you could do a tutorial on cutting up a whole chicken? (Please?) :-)