Monday, July 19, 2010

Pineapple Wedding Cake




I haven't a clue as to why this is called a "wedding" cake but it sure is good. This past weekend when my three younger daughters and three sons-in-law, one boyfriend, and our grand daughter came over for dinner I needed a dessert. I looked through my Desserts binder and came across this one. It's originally from my Aunt Mary Lee but my Grandma had it and she told me how good it was. I remember sitting with Grandma at her kitchen table and going through her recipes.



The strange thing about this cake is that the actual cake part has absolutely no butter or oil in it. The fat is in the frosting. My son-in-law loved this cake and told me he would eat it without the frosting. He is also a big carrot cake fan and this cake has the same dense texture. I think I will try this recipe without the frosting and maybe I will also use half whole wheat flour for the flour to just have around the house when I need a little sweet something but nothing too fattening, which I've been trying to do anyway. It's amazing what I don't eat when it's not in the house ;)




On a side note, I felt there were a tad too many nuts in the cake so I will put in maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of a cup next time instead of the full cup, but it's totally up to you.




Pineapple Wedding Cake




2 cups flour


2 cups sugar


2 eggs


2 teaspoons baking soda


1 teaspoon vanilla


1 cup nuts (chopped)


1 pound can crushed pineapple not drained




Mix flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Add the nuts and pineapple. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes in a 9 x 13-inch pan.




Frosting




8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature


1 stick butter, room temperature


1 teaspoon vanilla


2 cups powdered sugar




Mix together and frost cooled cake.




I'm participating in Tempt My Tummy Tuesday,

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Its like a carrot cake without the carrots. Looks great!

debi9kids said...

Sounds delicious and VERY similar to a Hawaiian wedding cake that my family loves. (the pineapple & nuts go on top of, instead of in the cake in our recipe)

ps Popped over from Beauty & Bedlam

Colette S said...

I like it. I would love to taste it. Interesting title for the cake.

Jacqueline said...

Looks fantastically moist. I agree, it looks like a moist carrot cake without the carrots. Yum.

Sadie said...

I am thinking it may be called a wedding cake because of the nuts being in it, like the mexican wedding cookies?